DISCOVER Saturday Wine Tasting: Wines for Yet Another Summer Day Another hot one? No! Finally a beautiful, normal day. We taste season appropriate wines: a textbook Napa Sauvignon Blanc, a smashingly delicious Alsacienne Pinot Blanc, a juicy fruit bomb of a Rose Vinho...
DISCOVER Belgian Beer February: Abbey Dubbels This Wednesday ♦ Downtown 5:30-7:00 PM TASTING EVENT Originally European monks started brewing beer for the same reason everyone else brewed beer. It was tasty, gave you your grain fix, and was safer to drink in medieval...
Dal Maso "Ca' Fischele" 2015 - $13.99 In the rolling hills of Selva di Montebello near Vicenza, siblings Nicola, Silvia and Anna Dal Maso craft lovely wines in the Gambellara wine region. Gambellara whites are made from Garganega, best known as the major grape of...
Southern Tier 2X Unfiltered IPA Usually when brewers brew, they put their beers through some type of filtration process after fermentation. This removes a number of things, mostly hop sediment, proteins, and yeast. These aren’t bad things; they just keep you from...
With a name that translates literally as ‘cast out the devils’, the Scacciadiavoli winery owes its eerie title to an exorcist who lived in the village by the vineyard during the 19th century. It was founded in 1884 by Prince Ugo Boncompagni-Ludovisi, who left Rome to...read more
This is a nice Ligurian primer. Especially the page on the cuisine of Liguria. Listen to the Wine Wednesday podcast about Scacciadiavoli on 106.1 The Corner Tasting notes by Laura and Antonio Basso, owners and winemakers of Durin Winery Durin, Riviera Ligure di...read more
Broc Cellars, Love White 2015 - $19.99 (90% Marsanne, 7% Roussanne, 3% Viognier; Berkeley, California) “Broc Cellars fits hardly anybody’s idea of a California winery. You won’t see any cellars, for one thing, or anything remotely pastoral, like a vineyard. The...read more
Market Street Wineshop
has been selling a large and carefully chosen selection of wines and beers in Downtown Charlottesville since 1986 and at our Uptown location since 1996. For the last 12 years we’ve been voted “Best Wine Shop” by the readers of C-VILLE Weekly. Our staff is passionate about wine and beer and we love hunting down inexpensive deals for dinner as well as helping you select something extraordinary for a special occasion. In addition to wine and beer we have a small but quality selection of specialty foods, coffees, teas, gifts and hand woven baskets. If you want to try before you buy, we have our Wines of the Week open to taste every day. We also have free tastings at both stores; beers Wednesday evening and wine Friday evening at our Downtown store, and wine Saturday afternoon at our Uptown store. We provide these services:
- Over 1200 wines and 400 beers in stock, with tens of thousands more available on a week’s notice.
- Free gift wrapping for bottles in our signature bright red bag.
- Help selecting gifts and putting together gift baskets.
- Delivery to anyone in our local area.
- Shipping to 29 states and the District of Columbia. We also sell wine shipping boxes.
- Gift Cards in any amount. Call with your credit card and recipient information. We are happy to mail them to the recipient for you. (They never expire and have no future fees.)
- Free chilling service. Our “Wine Well” chiller will chill any bottle in seven minutes. Wine or beer. If you want to pickup something in particular, just call and we will drop it in the chiller and have it waiting for you.
- Cork recycling. Carpets Plus has provided us a cork recycling bin from which they obtain corks to make cork flooring.
- Moving boxes. We keep a stack of cardboard wine and beer boxes that are perfectly-sized for moving. Feel free to take what you need.
Free Tastings Wines of the Week open every day at both stores (one white and one red) Wednesday Beer Tasting Downtown 5:30-7 pm Friday Wine Tasting Downtown 5-7:30 pm Saturday Wine Tasting Uptown 2-5 pm We offer these discounts: 15% off a full case of any 12 non-sale wines. 10% off a half case of any 6 non-sale wines. 5% off a case of any non-sale beers. (A case of beer is 4 six-packs, 6 four-packs, or any mixed combination adding to 24 single bottles.) (A case of beer is also 12 of the 22 oz or 750 ml bottles.) Sale wines or beers count toward your number. Items do not need to be all the same. They can be mixed. We provide information on our weekly tastings, events, and other specials in our e-newsletter. Sign Up today!