Start Autumn by “falling” in love with organic French wines of Loire, Rhone, Tavel, and Sancerre. We start the tasting like the beginnings of a bubbling romance with a Cremant de Bourgogne (a sparkling wine with as much heart as a champagne but for less cost). Next we...
Downtown, Wednesday, 5:30-7, 8/30/17 Hardywood Park Brewing Co., Richmond's Cult Brewery At the beginning of the century, outside of Bathurst, in New South Wales, Australia, there was a family-run sheep station. In the fall of 2001, there were two lifelong friends –...
Coriole, Chenin Blanc McLaren Vale 2016 The most widely-planted white grape in South Africa is not the world leaders of Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio, but Chenin Blanc. They call it "Steen" and it has become an integral part of South African wine culture and cuisine. Now...
Parkway Brewing Company, Boating Saison – 6 packs There’s a lot of variety in Saison style ales. It’s usually not much of a problem as long as they’re good. Parkway’s Float Your Boat from Salem, VA is one of those Saisons that has a bedrock of earthiness to it. They...
Our Favorite Producers Read Our Manifesto G.D. Vajra of Piemonte, Italy Steininger of Austria Durin of Liguria, Italy Scacciadiavoli of Umbria, Italy J. Mourat of The Loire Valley, France Rubus, of the World La Vieille Cure of Bordeaux,...read more
G. D. Vajra, Barolo, Piedmont, Italy G.D.Vajra (pronounced Vie-rah) is a highly-acclaimed winery located in the town Barolo of in northeast Italy's Piedmont. Aldo Vajra is a quiet and low-key man, a poet and a philosopher as well as a winemaker. He is assisted by son...read more
The Fiefs Vendéens wine region is located in the unknown southwest corner of the Loire Valley, not far from Cognac country and less than twenty miles from the Atlantic Ocean. The J. Mourat wines come from the sub-region Fiefs Vendéens, which they rescued from virtual...read more
Market Street Wineshop
has been selling a large and carefully chosen selection of wines and beers in Downtown Charlottesville since 1986 and at our Uptown location since 1996. For the last 12 years we’ve been voted “Best Wine Shop” by the readers of C-VILLE Weekly. Our staff is passionate about wine and beer and we love hunting down inexpensive deals for dinner as well as helping you select something extraordinary for a special occasion. In addition to wine and beer we have a small but quality selection of specialty foods, coffees, teas, gifts and hand woven baskets. If you want to try before you buy, we have our Wines of the Week open to taste every day. We also have free tastings at both stores; beers Wednesday evening and wine Friday evening at our Downtown store, and wine Saturday afternoon at our Uptown store. We provide these services:
- Over 1200 wines and 400 beers in stock, with tens of thousands more available on a week’s notice.
- Free gift wrapping for bottles in our signature bright red bag.
- Help selecting gifts and putting together gift baskets.
- Delivery to anyone in our local area.
- Shipping to 29 states and the District of Columbia. We also sell wine shipping boxes.
- Gift Cards in any amount. Call with your credit card and recipient information. We are happy to mail them to the recipient for you. (They never expire and have no future fees.)
- Free chilling service. Our “Wine Well” chiller will chill any bottle in seven minutes. Wine or beer. If you want to pickup something in particular, just call and we will drop it in the chiller and have it waiting for you.
- Cork recycling. Carpets Plus has provided us a cork recycling bin from which they obtain corks to make cork flooring.
- Moving boxes. We keep a stack of cardboard wine and beer boxes that are perfectly-sized for moving. Feel free to take what you need.
Free Tastings Wines of the Week open every day at both stores (one white and one red) Wednesday Beer Tasting Downtown 5:30-7 pm Friday Wine Tasting Downtown 5-7:30 pm Saturday Wine Tasting Uptown 2-5 pm We offer these discounts: 15% off a full case of any 12 non-sale wines. 10% off a half case of any 6 non-sale wines. 5% off a case of any non-sale beers. (A case of beer is 4 six-packs, 6 four-packs, or any mixed combination adding to 24 single bottles.) (A case of beer is also 12 of the 22 oz or 750 ml bottles.) Sale wines or beers count toward your number. Items do not need to be all the same. They can be mixed. We provide information on our weekly tastings, events, and other specials in our e-newsletter. Sign Up today!