Downtown, 5-7:30 pm, Friday 10/20 Tonight we taste wines made from grapes grown in volcanic soils. It is a unique terroir, for the roots of the vines must grow down forty feet or more to find water. This struggle makes the vines work harder and thus gives more...
Downtown, Wednesday, 5:30-7, 8/30/17 Hardywood Park Brewing Co., Richmond's Cult Brewery At the beginning of the century, outside of Bathurst, in New South Wales, Australia, there was a family-run sheep station. In the fall of 2001, there were two lifelong friends –...
Solms-Delta Chenin Blanc 2016 We were pleased to discover that the motto of the Solms-Delta Wine Farm is “Creating wine, music and hope.” In fact, this wine is nicknamed “Vastrap” (meaning “trample”) after the style of music which unites Khoesan trance-dance with...
Starr Hill Brewing Company, Last Leaf – 6 packs This brew was Starr Hill’s breakout fall hit last year. The Last Leaf is an English Brown Ale in its base made with numerous malts for a complex, nutty taste. East Kent Goldings hops come in next to round out the...
Named as a perennial “Sleeper of the vintage” in almost every vintage by wine guru Robert Parker, this top Fronsac estate, American-owned La Vieille Cure is run by New York’s Colin Ferenbach. This 45-acre vineyard is planted with 75% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Franc and 3%...read more
Manifesto! "Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains." That is the headline quote from the most famous of all manifestos, the Communist Manifesto (1848). Another equally famous one begins, "When in the Course of human events it becomes...read more
Our Favorite Producers Read Our Manifesto G.D. Vajra of Piemonte, Italy Steininger of Austria Durin of Liguria, Italy Scacciadiavoli of Umbria, Italy J. Mourat of The Loire Valley, France Rubus, of the World La Vieille Cure of Bordeaux,...read more
Market Street Wineshop
has been selling a large and carefully chosen selection of wines and beers in Downtown Charlottesville since 1986 and at our Uptown location since 1996. For the last 12 years we’ve been voted “Best Wine Shop” by the readers of C-VILLE Weekly. Our staff is passionate about wine and beer and we love hunting down inexpensive deals for dinner as well as helping you select something extraordinary for a special occasion. In addition to wine and beer we have a small but quality selection of specialty foods, coffees, teas, gifts and hand woven baskets. If you want to try before you buy, we have our Wines of the Week open to taste every day. We also have free tastings at both stores; beers Wednesday evening and wine Friday evening at our Downtown store, and wine Saturday afternoon at our Uptown store. We provide these services:
- Over 1200 wines and 400 beers in stock, with tens of thousands more available on a week’s notice.
- Free gift wrapping for bottles in our signature bright red bag.
- Help selecting gifts and putting together gift baskets.
- Delivery to anyone in our local area.
- Shipping to 29 states and the District of Columbia. We also sell wine shipping boxes.
- Gift Cards in any amount. Call with your credit card and recipient information. We are happy to mail them to the recipient for you. (They never expire and have no future fees.)
- Free chilling service. Our “Wine Well” chiller will chill any bottle in seven minutes. Wine or beer. If you want to pickup something in particular, just call and we will drop it in the chiller and have it waiting for you.
- Cork recycling. Carpets Plus has provided us a cork recycling bin from which they obtain corks to make cork flooring.
- Moving boxes. We keep a stack of cardboard wine and beer boxes that are perfectly-sized for moving. Feel free to take what you need.
Free Tastings Wines of the Week open every day at both stores (one white and one red) Wednesday Beer Tasting Downtown 5:30-7 pm Friday Wine Tasting Downtown 5-7:30 pm Saturday Wine Tasting Uptown 2-5 pm We offer these discounts: 15% off a full case of any 12 non-sale wines. 10% off a half case of any 6 non-sale wines. 5% off a case of any non-sale beers. (A case of beer is 4 six-packs, 6 four-packs, or any mixed combination adding to 24 single bottles.) (A case of beer is also 12 of the 22 oz or 750 ml bottles.) Sale wines or beers count toward your number. Items do not need to be all the same. They can be mixed. We provide information on our weekly tastings, events, and other specials in our e-newsletter. Sign Up today!